The Caribe Tours Company, the largest bus company in the Dominican Republic, has opened a new route to Dajabon and Haiti's second city, Cap-Haitien. The new route will go through Ouanaminthe (Juana Mendez) on the Haitian border and continue on to Cap-Haitien on the north coast of the neighboring country. This is the second international route covered by Caribe Tours. The first links Santo Domingo with Jimani and Petionville, in Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital. The new route will make it easier for independent tourists in the DR to visit the legendary Citadelle monument in Cap Haitien.
UPDATE JULY 24:
The nation's largest bus company, Caribe Tours, took dozens of their buses out of service yesterday to stage a protest in front of the offices of the OTTT. The OTTT had rescinded the permission obtained by Caribe Tours to operate a direct connection between Santo Domingo and Cap-Haitien in northern Haiti, which was supposed to start this week. Caribe Tours buses tied up traffic for several blocks around the Quisqueya Stadium. In a press release, the company said that they have no idea why the OTTT has blocked their routes. Previously, Caribe Tours had obtained permission for the route from the Armed Forces, the Customs Office, the OTTT and the corresponding authorities in Haiti. Caribe Tours says they have all the permits required for the routes from the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Ministry of Armed Forces, Customs Department and even the OTTTT and the competent authorities in Haiti.