According to the latest Epidemiology Bulletin, 7,579 cases of dengue have been registered so far this year, resulting in 95 deaths, mostly among children.
The Ministry of Public Health is calling a meeting of heads of pediatrics and internal medicine around the country to discuss the figures.
National Health Service (SNS) director Ramon Alvarado said that dengue fever should not be fatal and that it was a matter of providing the correct treatment at the right time.
In an interview on CDN Radio 5-7pm talk show yesterday, Monday 12 October 2015 deputy minister Dr. Nelson Rodriguez attributed a good number of the deaths to negligent and inadequately trained doctors. He said that no patient should die from dengue, but the disease requires close monitoring and treatment for patients. Several cases have also been blamed on misdiagnosis by doctors. During the show, Dr. Senen Caba, former president of the Dominican Medical Association, said that the government's failure to provide primary healthcare units was more to blame for the high death rate.
Read more in Spanish: http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/salud/casos-de-muertes-por-dengue-ya-alcanzan-las-95-personas-en-rd-DB1542401
In better news: During his visit to Santo Domingo for the re-opening of the renovated Renaissance Jaragua Hotel & Casino, the area vice president for the Caribbean for Marriott International, Andrew Houghton, said that everything is new at the seafront Jaragua, from the air-conditioning system, the rooms, the lobby and the restaurants to the pool. The company invested over US$40 million in the makeover.
Marriott International has three properties in operation in the Dominican Republic, all in Santo Domingo: the Renaissance Santo Domingo Jaragua Hotel & Casino (on the Malecon), the Courtyard Santo Domingo (on Av. Maximo Gomez) and the JW Marriott (on Av. Winston Churchill). Houghton said the company is planning other investments in the Dominican Republic.