Thursday, October 04, 2012

Big For Boxing!


This is big news for the world of boxing and for sports in general. Thanks to Rod 2.0 for the heads-up!

Puerto Rican featherweight champion boxer Orlando Cruz has come out and become the first openly gay, active fighter in the sport's history. The 31-year-old Cruz represented Puerto Rico in the Sydney 2000 Olympics and boasts a strong professional record of 18-2-1.
Cruz said that he hopes to become a "role model" for youth, reports USA Today.
"I’ve been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself. I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career. I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."


No comments: