Thursday, March 05, 2009

I'm Back...

What a great trip! The weather was pleasant, not much rain at all. It was cool most evenings.

I was surprised at the absense of the usual buggarones. I only saw one familiar buggie hanging out at Pacos, which is now called Grands. I also saw only one at JayDees Disco Bar on Sunday night. Speaking of JayDees, Sundays has always been a bit slow. Perhaps having some type of show or activity will draw more people.

There has been an addition to one of my favorite places to eat, Villar Brothers on Avenida Independencia. The new Garden Cafe is beautiful and brings back the open-air dining experience since the adjacent buffet has been enclosed.

There is also a small restaurant at the entrance of Hotel Discovery which gives you views of the hustle and bustle on the street that runs past the Conde and Independence Park.

Speaking of Independence Park, it was truly swamped on Friday as many Dominicans came to pay respects to Duarte on Independence Day.















I went out to Playa Caribe on Saturday since carnaval would be on Sunday. A much better experience than the over-crowded beach at Boca Chica.
















Carnaval was a spectacular event! This years theme was underwater or sea life. The floats were nice and there were many traditional carnaval costumes. I was amazed at the number of people that filed into the streets to view the processional. The crowd itself was something to watch! There was a constant stream of spectators walking the sidewalks vying for attention (and getting it). It was like a mini carnaval.





























All in all, it was a great trip!

1 comment:

WhozHe said...

I was in Santo Domingo for Carnival this year, and truly Boca Chica was crowded on Saturday.

I had hope to run into you while I was in the Dominican, Anthony said you were in town but I guess I missed you. Always have loved your blog.